Monday, March 18, 2013

Running the Rails

Liam is completely obsessed with trains-- it started as a general affinity for all trains, but quickly, he turned into Thomas fanatic.

We have Thomas trains. Books. Underwear. Cups. Shaving Kits. Toys, toys, toys. And while I hate character shirts, the look on his face when I gave him one was totally worth it. (I don't let him wear it out of the house unless it's underneath something!)

We're lucky to have a really active railroad system in Birmingham-- in fact, our house backs up to a track, and we love to take Liam out on our back deck and watch the trains go by. This weekend, the weather was gorgeous and for the first time in well over a month, no one was sick!!

This weekend, instead of making a trip to the zoo (our go-to nice day activity), we decided to take the kids down to the Peanut Depot to get a bag of hot roasted peanuts. We sat on the curb and ate them, the way I used to with my dad and gradddad.

(And no, I don't willingly give Liam Dr. Pepper to drink-- but occasionally, when picks ours up, I'll let him have a sip. I always tell him it's his "special treat.")


 When we were done, we climbed up on the tracks that separate the south from the north side of town and let the boys run. And run. And run. A train came by about every 10 minutes, and since there are about 6 tracks together, we could just move over and let the boys watch it go by.

They were (filthy &) in heaven.



 





It's the little things, you know?

1 comment: