Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thomas & The Great Paci Pass Off

There's no denying it-- there's a full blown Thomas obsession in the Blakely house.

It's hard to believe that less than 6 months ago, Liam didn't even know who Thomas was & now he can name dozens of the characters. Admittedly, I think it's really cute. The movies are boring, but I love watching him put the trains together, push them around the track, line them up and announce their names. He's building up quite the collection-- he gets a new train for cooperating at his eye appointments!

A few months ago, I saw an ad for A Day Out with Thomas and immediately bought tickets. We've been building up our visit to see "The Real Thomas" since January & he was so excited.

We've needed to take away his paci for months, but I've been too scared to deal with it. (Taking Jack's bottle away was a bit scarring.) But we really meant to get rid of them by two, and we've already passed 2 1/2. I thought, what if I suggest that he gives them to Thomas? About a week before the big day, I asked him, "Can you give your pacis to Thomas, so that he can take them to the babies who need them?"
He said, "Yes!"


That morning, we packed up all of his pacis in his Thomas backpack, which he insisted on carrying himself.





We played at the train tables, hit up the bubble station & rode the train.

Then, it was time for the big moment... We found the conductor, dug out the pacis and asked if he could give them to Thomas-- Liam handed them over & the conductor told him how proud Thomas was!

Liam was beaming.


That night, when we got home & settled him into bed, he said, "I need my paci!" and we gently reminded him that he'd given them to Thomas... and that was the end of the discussion! No begging, no crying, no big deal. He immediately went to sleep. I couldn't believe that he was so cool about it.

Over the next week, he asked a few more times, but he always seemed satisfied when we reminded them that he gave them to Thomas. I'm so glad that we were able to pass this milestone in a positive way-- he's still talking about getting to see "The Real Thomas!"

5 comments:

  1. Such a great idea- glad it worked out so well! He is adorable and the pic of the 2 of you is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Stef, I'm SO impressed. Genius idea, brilliant execution, and adorable photos to boot. Liam is such a mature little guy. And his love for Thomas is a powerful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That is awesome the transition went off so well. I was hoping my daughter could give her paci's to a princess at Disneyland but then we decided we should save that money and not go this year. So now I don't know what to do. She'll be 3 in less than two months. They have to go. But how?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Oh, Liam just makes my heart melt. He is such a sweetie. Kicking the bottle was sooooo hard for us with Smudgie (that sounds like he's a mini-alcoholic). I dread the day his beloved chupis have to go. I'll keep your idea in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! B is in love with Thomas too and I can't wait to take him later this summer to this.

    ReplyDelete