Thursday, October 7, 2010

Good Night

We had a good night last night. No, a great night.

Following our appointment with our pediatrician and our lactation consultant last week, I've tried to be extremely diligent about making sure that Liam eats every three hours unless he's so sleepy that all of the usual tricks (changing his diaper, undressing him, tickling his feet and neck, cool wash cloth on his face, etc) fail to rouse him. If he's that sleepy, it's just not worth the fight.

I think we are finally beginning to establish a difference between daytime & nighttime.

The last three nights, I've nursed him around 10pm, then headed to bed. Rob gives him a bottle of pumped milk when he gets hungry around 12:30am. I just know that I'm about to jinx us, but I'll say it-- He has slept like a dream after that bottle, all three nights. Last night, Rob put him down around 12:45am and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 6:30 this morning. I nursed him and he went back to sleep for another two hours! (The two nights before, he slept until at least 4am before waking to feed, then going back to sleep.)

Dare I say that I actually feel somewhat rested? I know that I shouldn't be overly optimistic-- he's due for a growth spurt anytime now & when he hits it, he may be awake every hour on the hour to eat. But in the meantime, I'll celebrate every good night we have!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! He sounds like such a great baby - easy going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!! What an awesome way to start this journey. It may get a little tougher, but you'll be SO GLAD you got these nights of nice sleep together.

    Just caught up on your posts and read your birth story -- what a wonderful job you did! Both in pushing that baby out in less-than-ideal circumstances and in telling the story!

    SO happy things are going so beautifully with your family of 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great so far! Totally enjoy it while you've got it, I say! :)

    ReplyDelete