Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ruffly Wreath

A few weeks ago, I saw this wreath and I fell in love with it:


This blogger made a gorgeous wreath in a rich red and when I saw it, I knew I had to add it to my project list.

This wreath takes a lot of felt circles to make-- I cut 260 3" circles and used every one of them. In fact, I think I may cut about 20 more to add to it, just to fill in some of the thinner spots along the outer edge. It was actually a great project for me to work on while nursing Liam! I'd stamp the circles while he was napping, then cut them while I fed him.

Ideally, I would have loved to make this wreath in a pretty apple green, but my felt-by-the-yard color options were very limited, so I decided to go with pink for the baby shower and I'll hang it with a green ribbon. (Please, let this baby be a girl-- the doc was 75% sure at her last appointment. Another ultrasound next week. If it turns out to be a boy, I'll either give this wreath away or sell it on etsy.)

Ok, so using a chicken broth can and a white stamp pad, I stamped out 260 circles on pink felt. (This was much faster than tracing each circle!)


Here are the supplies: 260 3" felt circles, a 12" wreath form, straight pins & a thimble.

Take one of the circles,


and fold it in half.

Then, fold it in half again.


It will look like this:


Stick a straight pin near the point of the folded felt and pin it to the wreath form. You can pin them as close together as you want. (I realized about 1/4 of the way through that I was pinning them closer than they needed to be, so I pulled some random pieces out and just fluffed the pieces around the empty space.)


Work your way around the wreath, pinning and fluffing as you go... (No need to pin pieces to the back since it will be against a wall or door.)



Tada!!


The color is not my first choice, but I love the organic texture of this wreath and if nothing else, the pink one was good practice. I'll definitely make a red one for our house, and once we're positive that my cousin's baby is a girl, I may get started on a second pink one. (My parents have french doors at the front of their house, so I'll need two if that's where I hang them!) This wreath is an inexpensive way to make a big impact. I'm glad I gave it a try!

2 comments:

  1. Look at you little Ms. Crafty (in a good way of course!). I am loving your projects! Please continue to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I cannot WAIT to try this! I love it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete