Monday, March 12, 2012

Fast Forward: One Year

One year ago today I found out I was pregnant with Jack.

I was shocked & scared. A week later, I wrote this post, announcing the news. I worried so much throughout my pregnancy... how would I handle two & what if I couldn't love another baby as much as I love Liam?

And then this happened:


And I'd love to say that this was the moment I fell head over heels in love with Jack...but it wasn't.

This was:


It was late on Saturday night, the night after Jack was born. I was by myself-- Rob had gone home to sleep (he had walking pneumonia) and all of my visitors had left. As I held Jack in my arms in the rocking chair in that quiet & dim hospital room, I looked at him and suddenly felt like my heart might burst. I called Rob & sobbed to him about how much I loved Jack, how I couldn't believe that I'd even questioned how I would feel about him, how lucky we were to have two beautiful healthy boys. He told me he'd always known it would be this way.

When I hung up the phone, I grabbed my camera, walked into my hospital bathroom and snapped these pictures. My eyes are swollen, my belly is round, my hair is messy. But, I don't care, because these pictures document the exact moment I fell in love with my second son.

And I've fallen in love with him more and more every day.

I mean, wouldn't you?