Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Got (Honey Lime) Shrimp?

 
Trying a new recipe is a pretty grand event at our house.

It's not that I don't like to cook-- I do, but when I'm cooking a meal for my family, it always seems like a gamble to try something new. What if it's awful and I've wasted a bunch of money on ingredients that I won't use again & what will we eat for dinner if I toss what I've made down the drain?

This has happened before.

Pinterest has so many beautiful recipes, most claiming to be *SO EASY* -- I get sucked into pinning so many things, but when the time comes to give it a shot, I'm a little gun-shy.

We eat a lot of the same things over & over... spaghetti, turkey burgers, fajitas, pasta salad, chicken tortilla soup, chili & when I get on one of my casserole kicks, broccoli chicken casserole, chicken spaghetti or poppyseed chicken. Can you tell how much chicken we eat? I don't eat beef or pork, so I don't cook it. Rob enjoys a steak now & then, but he's not going to find me making it.

I love seafood & often order it when we eat out, but I've been  hesitant to make it home. I think it's just because I know that grilling fish can be a little tricky (seems to fall apart) & I've never tried cooking it any other way. Rob has always thought that he didn't like shrimp, but has recently discovered that he just doesn't like *cold* shrimp. So last week, when I stumbled across a new recipe, I REALLY wanted to try it-- I was desperate to add something new to our rotation. I bit the bullet & I'm glad I did because not only did Rob and I LOVE it, but Liam LOVED it too!! It's rare that I find something that everyone will eat.

While I loved the idea of this recipe, I felt like the marinade tasted too much like straight olive oil, so I tweaked  it a bit, but I certainly want to give this blog credit!

Honey Lime Shrimp

3/4 lb medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Honey
Juice of a Medium Lime (2-3 Tbsp)
2 tsp minced Garlic
1/4 tsp each of Salt, Pepper & Red Pepper Flakes

Mix together all ingredients, pour marinade into a ziplock bag & add shrimp. Refrigerate & let marinate anywhere from 30 min to several hours. Take out of the fridge approximately 10 minutes before cooking & preheat a large skillet over medium heat. (I turned my gas stove up to 6.) Place shrimp in a single layer in the skillet (no need to add oil since the marinade contains olive oil) and let cook approximately 90 seconds (you'll see them starting to turn opaque & pink) before flipping them over to cook for another 90 seconds. After I flip the shrimp, I take a spoon and drizzle some of the marinade over the shrimp. Once cooked through, stir the shrimp in the marinade around the pan for another 30 seconds or so to coat all of the shrimp. The marinade will turn into a yummy glaze. (It may smoke a bit because of the sugar in the honey.)

That's it-- talk about easy! The marinade takes 5 minutes to make & the shrimp takes about 3 minutes to cook! I served it with teriyaki rice & pineapple slices. The night I made it, I fed Liam dinner, then made it for myself and Rob afterwards. Liam asked for some, so I gave it to him. (He's tried grilled shrimp before, but spit it out!) He kept asking for "More shrimp? More shrimp?"

We've made it twice this week.Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment