Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Little Bit More

I talked to my doctor again today and was able to get the specifics on my bloodwork results. The good news is, I feel better knowing the details about what they found. The bad news is that they didn't test some of the things that I thought they did... Here's what I know:

Prolactin = 13.82 (Anything under 24 is considered normal.)
Testosterone = 4.3 (Not sure if this is free or total, but was told this was normal.)
FSH = 5.07 (Normal ranges from 3-20)

and my thyroid results:
TSH= 5.51

According to Dr. C's assistant, their lab considers anything from 0.5-5.5 normal, so this is why she said I was at the top of the normal range. However, Dr. Google has informed me that this range is quite outdated. In 2002, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) announced a narrower range of what is considered normal: 0.3-3.0. By those standards 5.51 is well out of the normal range.

When I questioned what my LH was, I was told that they didn't check it. Not sure why, but I guess they felt it wasn't necessary, so I can't compare this with my FSH. Shit.

So, the plan is still the same: to redo the thyroid bloodwork next week and send to a different lab to analyze, including TSH, T4 and T3.

Here's the thing I'm still frustrated with: They want me to come in on Monday so they can do both the thyroid bloodwork and the progesterone test. To make sure there was no confusion, I stressed again that Monday is CD21 for me and I HAVE NOT OVULATED YET. Sure it's possible that I might ovulate before then, but I certainly won't be 7dpo, so I won't have had my spike yet. So, the results will come back with a very low number, and I'll get a call telling me that according to my progesterone, I didn't ovulate. ::sigh:: I KNOW.

I'm just going to have to wait it out and see what the next round brings-- hopefully once I get through these tests, we'll make a new plan that I can feel good about.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're missing some key pieces of information to help you figure out what's going on. I'm sorry you're being put off and delayed with this, but glad that the right tests are being done now. Will you get the results next week or the week after?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine it will take a week to get the results again... so maybe 11/2?

    They won't be able to check my LH (has to be done on CD3) but she said that checking it at this point was academic-- it won't change how they plan to treat me.

    Which begs the question, how do they plan to treat me?

    I'm assuming the results of the thyroid tests will explain why I'm not ovulating-- maybe once that's under control, I'll be back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh that is frustrating!
    So are you going to a different doc to get your thyroid rechecked?
    So you have to be 7dpo? Why cant you make the appointment after you know you O?
    Sorry you have to go through all of this. It's almost like you need a medical degree in order to get ku.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the site, I found a lot of useful information for us.

    ReplyDelete